AUSTIN, Texas—The National Park Service designated the Texas Historical Commission’s Casa Navarro State Historic Site as a National Historic Landmark.
The National Park Service deemed Casa Navarro nationally significant as the home of Tejano statesman and historian José Antonio Navarro (1795-1871). Born under Spanish colonial rule in the town of Béxar, Navarro’s life and career spanned four sovereign nations—Spain, Mexico, the Republic of Texas, and the United States. A signer of the Texas Declaration of Independence, a writer of the Texas State Constitution, and the namesake of Navarro County, he was a champion of civil rights for Hispanics.
Today, Casa Navarro is the best-preserved historic property in its original location directly associated with Navarro. Located in a San Antonio neighborhood, Casa Navarro consists of three contributing buildings—Navarro’s house constructed in the 1850s, and a free-standing kitchen constructed in the 1830s, as well as a two-story mercantile and office building, also constructed in the 1850s.
Administered by the National Park Service, the National Historic Landmarks program highlights places of exceptional historic significance to the nation. These landmarks are designated by the Secretary of the Interior because they possess extraordinary value and illustrate the heritage of the U.S. in history, architecture, archeology, engineering, and culture.
There are now 47 National Historic Landmarks in Texas, including the Alamo, USS Lexington in Corpus Christi, Dealy Plaza Historic District in Dallas, and Apollo Mission Control Center in Houston. The Texas Historical Commission manages two other National Historic Landmarks: the Sam Rayburn House (Bonham) and the H.A. 19 (Japanese midget submarine), part of the collection at the National Museum of the Pacific War in Fredericksburg.
(To continue reading this article, please contact us today for a print or email subscription to the Jefferson Jimplecute! — (903) 665-2462, JIMPLECUTE1848@GMAIL.COM)